Saturday 17 May 2008

Leone the lion



After talking about Lisa’s little passion for dust collectors (see article: Vintage Bottles) I thought I would share my dust collectors.

About three years ago when we decided to start the winery again we put together a Company plan. This included the company name, the mission statement, brands, what varieties we would produce, what direction we wanted to go in. One of the hardest things for me in particular was what would the identity of the winery be.

At the time I was working for the graphic design studio called ‘Icarus’ in Adelaide and had access to a great mentor in my boss David Robertson. The work was challenging but at the end of the day it was the client who told me what they needed to achieve for their company. When it’s your own company I think a little more complicated, so I set myself a brief just like a normal job, you have to start somewhere.

I researched our family history, I looked at winemaking and vineyards and processes. What struck me as the most powerful image and something that I kept going back to was the lion. The association of the Lion to my mother’s heritage in Veneto, Italy and my father’s maternal lineage became a logical solution. Once I had decided on the icon I researched again. This time it was a more specific search – I was looking for lions.

In my search I found some amazing images of real lions and stylized lions. I will try in the future to show you more images of the lions that I found and still look for when I am out and about, but to start with, one of my favourites is a lion from Singapore.

If you have any lions you would like to share I would love to seem them, please send them to me at Victoria@LouMirandaEstate.com.au

No comments: