Monday 14 March 2011

Stain glassed windows


When I was about 20 years old my girlfriend and I spent 1 month traveling around Europe, a majority of the trip was taken up with visiting churches and admiring art. We traveling over the Christmas and New Years period of our university holidays so it was the dead of winter in Europe. We were constantly drawn to the churches as we traveling from town to town, sometimes spending hours in them waiting for a snow storm to pass or accidentally finding ourselves in the middle of an organ rehearsal.


After studying art history in Year 12 and focusing my attention on gothic architecture and its comparison to the Bauhaus movement seeing these magnificent structures in person was a highlight of the trip.


What I absolutely loved about the churches was how impossibly dark and imposing they were and yet beautiful light would dance and filter through the stain glassed windows. Here are a few photos I wanted to share with you of the Lion's in the stain glasses windows.

No comments: